Understanding Your Child Custody And Visitation Case

Jane-Ashley McMillan, Attorney At Law In Plano, Can Help Starting Today

In Texas, and in states across the country, the divorce-related issue of child custody is generally settled according to the "best interests of the child" standards. Unfortunately, many parents differ as to what constitutes "best interests."

In her practice as a Plano child custody attorney, Jane-Ashley McMillan offers legal advice and quality representation to divorcing parents in Collin County and Dallas County regarding permanent custody and temporary custody arrangements. She has more than 30 years of experience in these matters and is certified as a family law specialist by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

Ms. McMillan's law practice is dedicated solely to the practice of family law and needs of the individuals she represents are her top priority. As such, she is a fierce advocate in court on behalf of her clients' best interests and demanding the best interests of the children be implemented. A child's special needs and other unique circumstances often require skillful advocacy that Ms. McMillan can provide.

Ideally, custody litigation should be the last resort because children can be permanently damaged unless custody and divorce issues are handled with extreme sensitivity. Because of this, Jane-Ashley explores litigation alternatives such as mediation and collaborative law in an effort to resolve these issues.


In general, the state of Texas encourages visitation. Visitation exists when one parent — a mother or a father — has the right to determine the primary residence of the children. Specific details as to how much visitation is granted, when the visitation is granted, and where the visitation will take place will vary dependant upon the situation. Texas does not generally exclude a parent from visitation unless there is a threat of serious harm, but sometimes other measures need to be taken to ensure the safety of the minor children. Grandparents may petition for visitation rights in certain cases.


The law office of Jane-Ashley McMillan can also assist you in obtaining modifications to your child custody and child visitation agreements, as well. For example, a parent may need to relocate and therefore need a modified court order. The door to the courthouse is always open with regard to the best interests of the children.

Contact Jane-Ashley McMillan, Attorney at Law, for experienced and effective legal representation in these concerns.

Call 972-422-2424 for guidance regarding possession of minor children or child support after a separation or divorce of the parents.