When Enforcement Of Court Orders Becomes Necessary

The enforcement of court orders is not as simple as going to the courthouse and stating your case. You must address your concerns almost like a criminal investigation. While enforcement can be done, it requires significant effort, so make sure you have a lawyer who is familiar with the local legal system and can help you make sure your concerns are handled correctly.

Texas board-certified family law specialist Jane-Ashley McMillan has been protecting families throughout Dallas, Denton and Collin counties for more than 30 years. She understands what you are up against and what options you have to protect your rights and your family, whether you are looking to enforce support, custody or visitation orders.

Taking Steps To Protect Your Family

The court takes matters of contempt of a court order very seriously. To pursue enforcement, the language of the existing court order must be very detailed and clear. If it is at all ambiguous, the court is unlikely to declare contempt. However, the court may allow clarification of the language so that the court order can be enforced. While the order itself cannot be changed, the language can be altered to be more clear.

Attorney McMillan's first step will be to look at the language of your existing order and make sure it is possible for the court to enforce the term in question. She will then make sure to prepare your case in accordance with proper procedures and serve the opposing party properly with a notice of contempt.

Depending on the nature of the violation, there can be serious consequences for those who are found to be in contempt. Any criminal conduct could result in jail time for the accused. Even when there was no criminal action, Ms. McMillan will use her knowledge of local and state family laws and a wealth of trial experience to help you build an effective case.

Contact A Texas Board-Certified Family Law Attorney

When the court reaches a decision in your divorce, each party is required to comply with the order. If your former spouse is not living up to his or her obligations, you may be able to take action to enforce the court order. Call or email Jane-Ashley McMillan today to learn more about your options.

Call 972-422-2424 for access to experienced representation for enforcement of court orders.